NOTE TO SeLC: This is the very first item in my Start Here module.
Online courses are a great option for students who might have difficulty attending classes on campus, or who enjoy alternative learning environments. However, some students take online courses thinking they will be easier or allow them to turn in work whenever they like. Those misconceptions often cause students to fail online courses. So, I'd like you to be very prepared for success in this course, regardless of how many online courses you've taken.
Therefore, I have created this required activity in which you will analyze your preparedness for this course. It will also help me to know you and to help you with specific strategies for success.
Choose the Part A option below that best fits your situation. Everyone will do Part B. Remember, this is required and is designed to help you succeed in this course:
Part A. Assessment of Online Course Skills. Choose one option.
Option 1. If this is your first online course OR you've not earned at least a 3.0 in previous online courses:
- Take the Smarter Measure analysis. This activity is about 30 minutes long and will hep you to analyze your strengths and areas requiring improvement in order to succeed in an online course. This is not a test and I will not see your results. If you have already done this analysis, you can use those earlier results. Click here to begin the Smarter Measure analysis.
- Review the results.
- Go to Part B below.
Option 2. If you have earned at least a 3.0 in previous online courses,
- Consider your most recent online course.
- Look at the list of skills for successful online learning.
- Think about what skills helped you to succeed and what skills you could improve. Investigate strategies (use the buttons on the linked page in step 2) for improvement.
- Go to Part B below.
Part B. Analysis of Skills.
With the information you've obtained from Part A, I'd like you to write a short paragraph that describes the following:
- The one strength that will help you the most to succeed in this course.
- The necessary skill where you have the most concerns, and how you intend to use available resources to improve that area so you can be successful.
- You're welcome to ask me questions or request specific help in this paragraph, as well. We have an online student success coach and I can refer you to her for additional help, if you're very concerned about getting started in this course.
To write the summary paragraph, click "Submit Assignment" box in the upper right. Then you'll be provided with a text box in which to write your paragraph. When finished, click "Submit Assignment again.